Tuesday, September 05, 2006

An Introductory Statement

As a pastor's son, I grew up in the church. I attended Sunday school, vacation Bible school, youth and young adult retreats, played in a praise band, etc. I am very blessed to have had such a solid Christian foundation in my home. Through my parents, I was able to see, taste, hear, and feel what it was to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. The way my parents lived out their faith engraved in my heart what it means to follow Jesus in a serious way. It wasn't until I was 19 when, to use John Wesley's words, "I felt I did trust Christ..."

From then on, I tried to pursue living for Jesus at any cost. I had a newfound zeal. I read my Bible, took Bible classes in college, carried my Bible everywhere I went, went to prayer meetings, taught Sunday school, chaired the evangelism committee at church, etc., all because I wanted to follow Jesus. Needless to say, I went through phases in my Christian journey before I realized that there must be something more to following Jesus.

That is not to say that the abovementioned things were not following Jesus, but I learned that to follow Jesus was just that - learning to think, speak, and act like Jesus...to be and do as Jesus did. As I went on to seminary and was exposed to that closer walk and deeper walk with Christ I realized that I needed to embody the life of Christ somehow. Two things are obvious from Jesus' life and ministry - he pleased and glorified the Father.

How did Jesus please and glorify the Father? How should we please and glorify the Father as Jesus' disciples? Hopefully, following discussions will help us reflect on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home