Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Are You Ready?

A popular phrase that is heard on Monday night during football season is “Are you ready for some football?” And of course, all of us football fans reply with a resounding “you bet!”

Today’s passage is Jeremiah 1:1-10 in which we find the narration of God’s calling upon the prophet Jeremiah’s life. Essentially, the Lord has called Jeremiah for some pretty scaring scenarios – “to uproot, tear down, destroy, overthrow…” I don’t know that that particular call sounds too appealing. Whatever happened to love, compassion, and kindness? Well, love, compassion, and kindness still remain an integral part of our call as God’s people. However, in the spirit of the writer in Ecclesiastes, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven” (Ecclesiastes 3:1).

The call to live and serve God may not always be “pleasant”, but it is always necessary. Challenging scenarios are an integral part of the Christian disciple; it is a part of the way of the Cross. One writer responded with this prayer when asked “Are you ready?”: “O Lord, you are always ready, but am I ever ready? O Lord, make me ready, or at least make me more ready to be made ready.”[1]

God has called us to be and do something – to be and do as Christ. He has called us to glorify His name and to edify His church. Are we ready to do our part? James C. Fenhagen challenged me today with these words, “We can’t do everything, but each of us can do something.”[2]

What is that something that God is calling you (us) to be and do? Are you ready? Remember, you and I are not expected to do everything, but we can all do something.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for your call upon my life. Help me to make myself ready to be and do as you will. And help me do something that will glorify You and edify your church. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

By grace alone,

Pastor David

[1] From Together in Solitude by Douglas V. Steere
[2] From Invitation to Holiness by James C. Fenhagen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home