Thursday, October 05, 2006

Obedience

My prayer is that your day has been a productive, peaceful, and blessed day!

How many times have we as Christians on the road to discipleship dealt with the whole issue of obedience? In fact, one of the first lessons most of us have memory of is that moment when we begin to realize that we must obey our parents. We're taught the Ten Commandments, the Golden Rule, and to obey your elders.

Well, in Matthew 21:28-32 we find Jesus' parable of the two sons. One of them, upon receiving an order or command from his father, told his father he would not obey his command. However, later on he repented and chose to obey his father. The second son, also upon receiving a command from his father, told his father he would obey his command but he, in fact, did not obey.

How many times do we say "yes" to something all the while knowing or at least doubting our true desire to indeed follow through? How challenging is it for our "yes" to be "yes"? I suppose that it's always nice to know if someone is going to "obey" and follow through on his/her committment. On the other hand, Jesus said that there is joy in heaven when one sinner repents and turns to God.

Jesus said that the the first son "repented" or "changed his mind" and obeyed the father. What do I need to repent of? What/where do I need to be more obedient in?

Prayer: Lord, I'm sorry for the times that I've told You that I will obey but then turn right around and disobey. Forgive me, and empower me to be obedient to You. In Jesus' name. Amen.

By grace alone,
Pastor David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home