Monday, October 01, 2007

Good Reflection Questions for a Disciple

I hope and pray everyone has gotten off to a good start this week!

Our "team" theme for Sunday paid off since the Cowboys scored yet another win!

No doubt that part of the life of a disciple of Jesus Christ involves being a good team player in sharing, giving, participating, and cooperating in the life of the church. A good team effort will take us a long way, especially when we follow the right game plan - God's plan for us as a church and as individuals.

In today's devotional time, I was reminded, through a series of questions, that a team's effort can be impacted positively, or negatively, by the commitment of each player or member. That is, if the whole team is on the same page regarding our mission and purpose, and I am on another page, then I will be hindering the team's success and progress. Therefore, our individual progress in the Christian journey is essential to the overall team's effectiveness. How can we measure or evaluate our individual progress? How can I know where I need to grow? How can I know what I need to do to be a better team player?

In A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie we find the following reflection questions which I will simply highlight:

"Have I today done anything to fulfill the purpose for which You did cause me to be born?
Have I accepted such opportunities of service as You in your wisdom has set before my feet?

Give me grace to answer honestly, O God.

Have I done anything today to tarnish (to stain or blemish) my Christian [character]? Have I been lazy in body or languid (lacking vigor or vitality) in spirit? Have I wrongfully indulged my bodily appetites? Have I kept my imagination pure and healthy? Have I been scrupulously honorable in all my business dealings?

Give me grace to answer honestly, O God.

Have I made more excuses for myself than I have been willing to make for others?
Have I, in my own home, been a peacemaker or have I stirred up strife?
Have I, while professing noble sentiments for great causes and distant objects, failed even in common charity (love) and courtesy towards those nearest me?

Give me grace to answer honestly, O God."

And he closes with the following prayer; I invite you to make it ours today:

"O Thou who infinite love, made manifest in Jesus Christ, alone has the power to destroy the empire of evil in my soul, grant that with each day that passes I may more and more be delivered from my besetting sins."

By grace alone,
Pastor David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home